Each year New Orleans Schweitzer Fellows work in small groups to conduct public outreach activities. These activities aim to:
• Educate students in health-related fields, professionals, and/or the general public about the nature and seriousness of current, local health disparities and unmet health needs;
• Strengthen existing links among the Schweitzer Fellows Program, community agencies and health professional schools, and site and academic mentors;
• Identify new community organizations and other partners that the Schweitzer Fellows Program may collaborate with in the future.
• Help Fellows develop leadership, organizational, and team building skills useful in future public education activities; and
• Provide Fellows with an experience of collaborative and shared responsibility within a small interdisciplinary group.